View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbc View Post
For the beginner crowd, step away from the keyboards and follow the surprised break technique to overcome the flinch.

For the experienced crowd that shoot at speed, hold it as tight as possible. Is that correct? I am no expert.

For the experienced bullseye crowd, know when the trigger breaks to align with the wobbling pattern. Right? Again, I am no expert.

For the crowd that has been shooting for decades but still have the habit of flinching, may the force be with you because there is no cure. Yes, I am an expert in this area [emoji3]
Beginner or expert, a shooters focus should be on the sight picture and what's beyond. If you can jerk a trigger and still hit where you are aiming, good on you. My brother jerks the hell out of his triggers and was asked to shoot on his college shooting team. His coach tried to break him, but after seeing his results, she said just keep doing what you're doing. It works for him. It doesn't work for most.

When you break shooting down, the basic goal is to hit the target. Whatever you do in achieving that goal is what you need to do consistently - as in every time. Most people find it easier to avoid anticipation if they squeeze the trigger. Some can jerk the trigger violently and still score hits.

As long as your focus is to keep the gun on target when the trigger breaks, who cares if the trigger was jerked or squeezed? Squeezing the trigger is a means to achieve the focus necessary to hit the target.

For those thinking there is a difference between shooting fast (like combat style) or slow (targets) think about the last thing you see before your gun goes off. In either scenario, whether shooting fast or slow, the last thing you should see is your sight alignment, the target and what's beyond. If you are not seeing that, you are anticipating.

TBC, don't be discouraged. You can beat your flinch. The flinch is just you're body's reaction to pain. You just have to convince your body that the shots are not going to hurt it. I agree that noise is the biggest problem. It's hard for me to convince my body that shooting is not going to hurt it, when I'm practically deaf in my R ear from shooting. Double plugging helps. Dry firing helps. And shooting a .22 pistol helps (no sonic booms with a .22LR shot out of a pistol). Then lots of repetition. You'll eventually convince your body that its not going to be injured. Then step up to heavier calibers. Good luck.