View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 6:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
Hey all,
I went to a shop in Glendora, Gunslingers, to do a PPT on a few lowers. I had an M16A1 built on one of the lowers and had...will still have, a Solar Tactical wrap on the grip. They have no issues with the PPT and DROS of the parts, actually was very good, Gunrunners wants $125 PER lower to DROS them!, the owner said he had an issue with the wrap. Said it did not make the firearm Ca. legal. I didn't want to ruffle his feathers, so I installed a BB real quick. No biggie, however, I went to the ST site and they have no link to a letter or anything stating that their wrap is okiedokied by the DOJ. I know by the letter of the law it is good to go, no way to get your thumb around the grip. I just don't want to go somewhere and have someone think the same thing, take the weapon and then have a giant legal issue on my hands. I e-mailed ST and called them. Mark sent an e-mail asking about the shop and directed me to Cagunlaws. I have yet to speak to Mark directly to get his take on it. Anyone else had this issue pop up? I just want DOJ ok to use it.
This is slightly OT but pertinent. My local DA had stated he considered any rifle outfitted with a MMG or ST type device to still be an AW. It took me alot of 'I brought you guys some coffee, let's sit down and go over this flow chart' before they relented and now recognize it as being legal. If I wasn't an LEO I wouldn't of had the access I did to keep pushing the issue in a friendly but persistent manner. While it doesn't make them any less wrong, it could certainly get you in a bit of a wreck if you have people ignorant of the law at the helm of making charging decisions.

PS, i wouldn't of had a nice big stack of glossy flow charts if it wasn't for Jason from Cal-guns mailing them to me when i first joined this site to try to get a handle on what is and isn't legal. Besides getting lit up when I first joined for being an LEO and not knowing the law, it's been a great resource and I've tried to return the favor by educating others with Cal guns' supplied fliers.

Last edited by deadcoyote; 07-22-2011 at 6:22 AM..