View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 7:37 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLNW View Post
If I may make a suggestion -

How about Kestryll creates a new CGN position - Marketplace Mediators. There are a fair number of level-headed, legally-trained and relatively neutral members who could be tapped to serve as mediators for marketplace disputes.

This would serve two purposes:

1. It would relieve moderators of additional duties - the job is already demanding enough on those who volunteer, and asking them to mediate a contractual dispute is not only something that may be out of their realm, but also a duty that is neglected due to an already heavy load of moderating work.

2. It would promote fairness and equity in the marketplace. Just because someone is a spectacular moderator does not make them qualified to render a judgement in a contract dispute, which is exactly what every marketplace disagreement is. Contract law is a very complex and often confusing area of civil law, and it is unfair and unjust to assign an unqualified mediator as the "final say".

This is not meant as a hit against a moderator, but the reality is that contractual disputes should not be adjudicated by any CGN staff member if there is not a sound base for assigning the staff member to the task.

I understand that the intent is to inject a cooler head into a dispute if it cannot be solved between the disputing parties, but what you are creating is a system that will in all likelihood render incorrect judgments and reward guilt at the expense of fair marketplace participants.

In short, don't mediate unless you are qualified to do so.
I think most of the M0ds started out with one forum or 2 and were given extra buttons as time went on. Why have a market place only staff when we can use them for other things around the forum?

The Market place is a fast moving forum and we could always use an extra hand but limiting a few guys to one forum tends to make them/him work in a vacuum imo.

Then again if the forum keeps growing the rules will get tighter or we will have to have more volunteers in the future. I dont have a head count of Mods but with my new job I am not able to help as much as I would like.

Weekend Duty (I said Duty!) will allow me more time to read the forum and respond to reports faster.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994