View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 4:38 PM

Default Monitor entering power save mode

I'm having a problem with my monitor entering the power save mode while I am still working; I stop for a second and it enters power save mode. It's really frustrating! Of course, it's not consistent; some times it enters power save mode and other times it doesn't.

The computer is a three year old Dell Studio running Windows 7 and the monitor is a Dell ST2010. I have the monitor hooked up using the HDMI connection. When I first got the computer, I couldn't figure out how to get the monitor to work with VGA so I just used the HDMI connection.

I have checked the windows power saving feature and it is set to reasonable idle times. I tried to swap monitors from a different computer but wasn't succesful. My other monitor is VGA only and I couldn't get it to work at all with the original computer (as previously noted, I couldn't get the original monitor to work with VGA). I tried to hook the questionable monitor to my other computer using the HDMI connection but I couldn't get it to work. I tried rebooting the computer with the questionable monitor connected via HDMI hoping that it would auto detect the digital signal but it didn't work.

I am not sure if I have a software problem, a problem with my monitor, or possible with my graphics card. Any suggestions? Thanks!