View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 9:44 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlobRay View Post
I would have to say that the issue is both cultural and political. Cultural is easy enough for all to understand and I think that it can be overcome with time and education. To explain why I think it’s also a political issue is easy enough to understand too. From the dawn of time, people have always wanted to control other people, thus you get politically motivated laws to keep the upper class in command of the peasants and most leaders don't want to give up their power. You can reference this fact by reading history and in today’s society look at the DNC platform and the laws restricting the RKBA from both parties. This too can be overcome, eventually, but it would definitely help to speed things up if we could change the cultural bias first. Now I couldn’t even come close to explain why the media in the old days seemed to be critical of all government dealings, but today they are sheep that follow with blind acceptance.

Ray
I completely agree with you. As you point out, it's by changing the cultural bias that you eventually conquer the political one.

We can just look at recent history and see for instance how evangelical/charismatic Christians, which are nowadays associated with social conservative values and the GOP, used to actually be a socially progressive movement just a few decades ago (people tend forget the first evangelical president was not George W. Bush, but Jimmy Carter).

Similarly, gun control didn't use to be so closely associated with the Democratic Party, but now it obvisouly is. Well, it doesn't have to be. What needs to happen is to marginalize progressively gun control advocates and for us to show how out-of-touch they are, and that they're not focusing on the real problems that are at the root of violence.

Last edited by a1c; 12-10-2012 at 10:36 AM..