View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by C6H6 View Post
Update: I saw my doctor about this and she suggested I try taking Benadryl - which I told her was probably a bad idea to mix with guns. So I will try Claritin next time to see if it helps. We also think it might be a carbon monoxide reaction. I will need to buy an alarm and do some more testing.
It is true that being near a carbon monoxide source will turn your face bright cherry red and you will start to feel woozy and tired. Is there by chance a generator near your range? Maybe large diesel motors without emissions controls? Carbon monoxide doesn't just appear, it needs a source like a gasoline motor or other mechanical device. I don't think a CO2 detector will help you, but it won't do any harm and it's good to have in your house.

In any case, I'd go and shoot the same guns and ammo at a different range and see what happens. No antihistamines when running that test.

You don't mention if the red areas itch. If they don't itch, it's probably not an allergy. Go by your doctor's advice on this.

Also wondering if you wash your face and hands, as we all should after shooting, with soap the range provides. That's another opportunity for reaction, as is a special shooting shirt, hat, etc.

Is there poison ivy or poison oak in the area? Even if you don't touch it, when they mow, the oils get into the air and can get on you. (Same reason you never burn poison ivy or poison oak)

I would start removing variables one at a time to discover what makes the difference.
Do only safe sex. Never have sex with someone crazier than you are.
Don't marry or move in together before you're both at least 25.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 12-09-2012 at 11:50 AM..