View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 5:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
There is more to being a professional than the confirmation hearings.
There's nothing more to getting the job than the nomination and the confirmation hearings, and once you've got the job, you're set for life. There probably isn't a job out there that has more job security than a federal court appointment does.

More to the point, the politicians are the only people that matter when it comes to getting a job on the bench (be it at SCOTUS, a circuit court, or a district court).

The rulings that a judge issues are entirely irrelevant to their career advancement except to the degree they impress or repulse politicians. Politicians are corrupt and evil, because their entire purpose in life is to pass legislation restricting the freedom of the citizenry while simultaneously convincing the citizenry that said restrictions are somehow a good thing. As such, politicians aren't going to give a flying fig about how consistent those rulings are with respect to Supreme Court jurisprudence, nor how legally brilliant they are, except to the degree they affect the one thing the politicians are going to care about: how effective the candidate would be in advancing the politician's political agenda. For a SCOTUS appointment, the consistency of the judge's rulings with Supreme Court jurisprudence is of no consequence whatsoever, because the SCOTUS positioning means the candidate will have the power to ignore that jurisprudence entirely.
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Your oath to uphold the Constitution is a joke unless you refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.

I hope I end up having to donate another $1000 to CGF... However, this $500 is one I hope to not have to donate...

Last edited by kcbrown; 12-04-2012 at 5:43 PM..