View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 7:02 AM
NOT BANNED..yet
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
If you're a noob I wouldn't suggest trying to build one. Like custom crafted cars, they can be cantankerous and need a lot of tuning, fiddling until they're where you want it to be. I'd start out with the S&W M&P 15 Sport just to get familiar with the AR platform; the sweet part about that gun is that it's about $700, more or less. I'm pretty sure it's chambered for 5.56 so you can also use 2.23 if you like. The bullet button is already installed, you get a CA-capacity 'mag, so legality wise you're good to go. Now if you believe in buying the best that you can for the little money you've got I recommend going with the Colt 6920. It's about $1200 but you're getting Colt performance and reliability for a little over a grand. If you decide you want a fancier 'AR or a gas piston one in the future you can always sell your Colt for almost what you paid for it. Buy once, cry once, as some here would say, and either of those guns will serve you well. Look around the intrawebz for reviews/opinions about either gun and you'd be hard pressed to find anything negative about them...
This^^ go with quality OP, it will last you much longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddicken1953 View Post
Myk's first post is spot on, s&w mp15, it has no dust cover and no forward assist. I have never used my forward assist on any rifle, anyone who is trained in high speed. High pressure situations will not press a forward assist, worthless in real world. The dust cover isn't needed either unless you plan on going somewhere that has sandstorms. Get some rounds thru the barrel and use frog lube. It will keep your bolt carrier group nice and juicy and repel dirt, debris and carbon. Good luck
Sorry but no. There are plenty of situations where a dust cover and forward assist come in handy, that's why they were designed to be there in the first place. Everyone know that if your AR isn't kept clean, it won't function properly. Look at what happen in Vietnam before the troops were issued cleaning kits. A dust cover is essential in my opinion because it keeps crap like sand, dust, dirt, and grit out of you breech and off your bolt. AR-15's were not designed to be pretty little bench rest rifles, but rather down and dirty tools of war, and anyone who seriously trains with their weapon will get it dusty and covered in grime. Hell, if you just want to go shoot out in the desert you're gunna get it covered in dust. I say you go with something better than an M&P 15 sport. It's a cheap for a reason
/thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Biden is only there so nobody assassinates Obama. He's like a bullet proof vest that drinks too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It's right next to the part that says gays can get married and sluts get free birth control.
ΦΑ