View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 3:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ham View Post
and i bet your a wonderful customer to deal with, being a perfect as you are..
So you think customers should just take it in the shorts instead?

Seriously, my time is worth something and any retailer should know that. If I order something and it's promised to arrive a week from Tuesday, but doesn't arrive, I expect something to be done to compensate me for my time and/or needing to reschedule my plans.

If you order a car part at an auto parts house and you botch the part number (you get an oil pump instead of a water pump) who do you blame? Yourself, as you provided the part number. But if the dyslexic counter-clerk botches the order, I expect the parts house to offer some sort of compensation for the error -- a discount on the item at the very least¹.

In the case of Turner's, no doubt they've paid for expensive software and computer servers to manage their inventory. Somewhere they have paid programmers to help customize some of that software to their needs. Somewhere there is a manager who oversees this software and another responsible for the smooth operation of the warehousing. Corporate management is responsible for educating & training staff to use it properly. If you're thinking this takes tens of thousands of dollars you're wrong. It usually takes hundreds of thousands of dollars to implement and roll out to a chain.

And you, the customer, are funding that project through the prices they charge for products sold. You have a right to expect them to execute their business plan to serve the customer's needs as well as to make a profit for the business. In my business (I/T) we refer to the 80/20 rule. Initially the results will satisfy 80% of the customers flawlessly and 20% will experience some kind of problem. After implementation you work to reduce that 20% down to about 5%. That will cost you money internally and it will cost you money in customer good-will by compensating them for the problems they face. If you fail to compensate the customer for company errors you lose that good-will (usually ten-fold as they tell others about their bad experience).

In the long run, it is usually much cheaper to "write off" $50 of product to customer good-will than it is to screw the customer and pinch pennies (for the store's P&L)². You'll end up with a customer who believes you stand by your promises and owns up to clerical errors honestly. He's likely to be back more often.

¹ The same applies if you tell a mechanic to replace the water pump in your car, but the problem is a bad thermostat. If you ask him to diagnose and repair, then the error is on him. You pay for the water pump (it's a new part) but he has to eat the labor for the pump and possibly the labor to install the thermostat. You're paying him for his "expertise" to diagnose and if he's wrong, he should pay for it, not you.
²There are limits, of course. If the customer is buying a $9.95 item the cost of the good-will exchange may be a 15% discount or tossing in an item who's cost is the equivalent.