View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 1:04 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by scld1354 View Post
I don't see the explicit requirement that a firearm be at least 50 years old. So then, beginning 1-1-14, a firearm does not have to be at least 50 years old to be eligible as a C&R. This is an excerpt from the BATF:

To be recognized as C&R items, 478.11 specifies that firearms must fall within <i>one</i> of the following categories:

• Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof.

• Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest.

• Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector’s items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less.
The PC that Quiet posted, 27966, is the REPLACEMENT for the one I posted, 27965.

27966 goes into effect in 2014; in 2014, the 50-year exemption goes away - exactly as 27965 says in (b), added by the same bill that added 27966
Quote:
(b) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1,
2014, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted
statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2014, deletes or extends
that date.
In 2014, ALL C&R sales must go through a 'regular' FFL, unless the gun is a long gun and the buyer is a C&R licensee with the CA COE.

No one is arguing about BATF's own list and definition. At the moment, until 2014, CA accepts ONLY THE 50 YEAR OLD + SUBSET of C&R long guns as exempt from using an FFL for transfer.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 11-25-2012 at 1:11 PM..