View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckberry668 View Post
6"x11" A zone is not exactly my 2" groups at 50 yards statement. 6" machine rest group might as well be plinking. put it in a machine rest, which was my premise, and you'll see a difference. You and I both know shoot on the move is not about 'accuracy' it's about skills.

You're right, not many comp shooters trim their brass. I only knew 1 or 2 that did when I shot PPC and Bianchi Cup.

My point was logically, uniformed components yield more uniformed results. I have done it and seen the results. That's why 'anyone would'.
2" groups at 50 yards is not really shooting if it is being done from a machine rest. I'm not claiming to be able to shoot the best groups in the world, but when shooting against a timer, while moving, at a target 35 or so yards away, hitting inside the A zone twice means that you're pretty accurate. Furthermore, I could care less what my gun can shoot in a machine rest. I'd rather see what it can do in my hands, without support, etc.

I guess I just don't see the point of trimming if it brings you almost no practical gains. Primer pocket uniforming, trimming, etc., all sound like they will make your ammo into the model of accuracy, but at pistol distances with a human behind the gun, all those steps become increasingly meaningless the more they are adhered to. Great accuracy can be achieved without unnecessary steps like trimming.

I can see the benefit in, say, sorting brass by head stamp depending on the application, but anything further than that is getting into the realm of severely diminishing returns.