View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 8:57 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrearview View Post
People with backgrounds far worse than yours have become cops. The biggest thing you need to work on is your communication skills. You will have to sell yourself a bit, but it is in no way shape or form a daunting task... Some departments want people with squeaky clean backgrounds thinking they are better for liability... They are generally wrong. I want to work with guys who have been through hell and made it out with scars, and life lessons... Not some kid who has never had a job and lived at mom and dads house while he got his BS in women's literature. I don't want his 1st fight to be with the 6'3" 250 pound chunk of solid muscle, two strike parolee who just raped a 15 year old girl.

For the record, I am not a BG investigator, but I have been through a few backgrounds stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Fixed it for you!!!

In all seriousness, What is said above is very true. The single BIGGEST thing is that you have not allowed those patterns of behavior to continue. It is absolutely necessary to show you have corrected the errors of the past and it will be very important to stress that during your interview(s). Be honest and forthright during the entire process because they will know if you are not.

As FRV said above, I'd rather have someone with a few scars from life going into battle with me (us) rather than Joey Perfect who can fix your computer but has no idea what real life is about!! Keep a positive attitude and stress the good things you have done in your life to get back on the right track.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it