View Single Post
Old 11-11-2012, 6:17 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default What to look for at a gun show?

I want to find a nice bolt action rimfire rifle at one of these gun shows. What I saw at CalExpo today in Sacramento was questionable. Maybe it was because it was Sunday afternoon...

What are the dos and donts of picking up a good rimfire target rifle at a gun show? This will never see a scope and will be used for target shooting up to 100 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
The overall condition of the firearm can tell you alot about how it has been taken care of. Check the muzzle crown for any dings or burrs, if present pass on that one. Rifling and overall condition of the bore. Is the bolt tight in the action. Dry fire if possible to check for trigger creep and weight of pull. Does it have a magazine, some older ones can be hard to find and/or expensive. Lastly when buying a used firearm its always a roll of the dice.

If its solely for iron sight target shooting then I would look for something with aperture sights (peeps). Much more accurate that standard buckhorn type sights.

If you have the budget for it and they still have them you would be much better off getting one of the Kimber 82G rifles from CMP.org. Made as a 3 position target rifle, single shot, complete with excellent aperture sights. Shipped to your door for $450. No better value out there for a heavy barrel target rifle. Built like a tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSlacker View Post
Look the outside over well if it has not rusted or been beat it is worth looking closer. I look for brand names I recognize. You will know the things that you want like heavy barrel or target sights and stocks.
Take a light and look into the bolt face, note the position of the firing pin then look at the corresponding area of the breach face for firing pin impact from dry firing easy fix with a inexpensive chamber iron. Next take a look at the extractor system. Does it have one, are there any obvious missing/broken parts, this is common extractors are easy to replace and you might just do it anyway. Most have a ejector of some type can you see it and is it intact. Some Marlins have a ejector that is held in by the barrel/receiver. To change the ejector the barrel needs to be removed on some the ejector is riveted from the inside of the receiver with a special tool, so this is the type of part that is a deal breaker. So look for the ejector. Take a dummy round and check the action/magazine tube. Some tubes are two piece and the inside may have a dent or obstruction and the outside look fine mag tubes can be a deal breaker. Be careful about missing mags or damaged tubes so using a dummy round in a tube fed will tell if it is usable and the lifting parts are working and will it strip and present the round from the mag.
I don't pay much attention to dirt. If the owner will let you, use a dummy round and dry fire. Does the safety work!

Last edited by Lazyme; 11-15-2012 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Good information