View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Calguns Addict

I might as well just start ranting about it because I’m in the mood lol.

There are so many things wrong with that scope and Nikons marketing approach with the M series that it almost feels like an insult last time I used one of their products, and their Spot On software isn’t helping their cause either.

I don’t want to sound like I am coming off the wrong way, but I just don’t like the scope from a fundamentals standpoint, and I feel the same way about their Spot On software… it really deters someone from learning how to operate a target scope the right way.

Along with many features provided in a scope, I think reticle design is extremely important. A good target scope brings to the table a platform to learn on which can be adapted on any rifle, with any cartridge. Unfortunately Nikon does not deliver on that front with their M series.

Instead of telling me drop in MIL or MOA, Spot on tells you drop in Inches, which then needs to be converted to MOA in order to dial in correction using their ¼ MOA turrets.

For example a 100 yard zero using a 2.7” sight height with 168gr OTM at 700 yards has a drop of “150 inches”, it would be a lot easier to just tell me -21 MOA drop. Dial that into the turret and off you go. On the fly in a hold over situation, honestly how the hell do you figure out how much -150 inches in in your reticle? Even if I knew the drop in MOA, I am forced to dial it in…

Then in case you can’t figure that out because it really isn’t the best way to represent drop over distance when actually shooting with a scope, they tell you how many “clicks” you need. Excellent way to get lost in the dial, I honestly can’t remember the last time I actually counted how many “clicks” I needed.

On top of that, with the large numbers of variables and ammo selection to negate the use of a pre-calibrated BCD reticle for a long range rifle, you now need to figure out how much to hold over using a reticle that’s somewhat cryptic compared to something with a MIL or MOA scale, which would directly correlate to a dope sheet or a good ballistic calculator like Ballistics FTE or similar, which is also better than Spot On by an epic measure.

You completely remove the ability to range a target using the reticle, and there is no way to actually measure correction if you are target shooting with their reticles…

To top it all off they provide you a “Field Reference Ballistics chart” since hold over obviously changes with every magnification value making the entire process even more more complicated… This is also true with a standard SFP scope, but it’s a lot easier to use with a MOA scale then trying to remember or even figure out what dot means what with which ammo and at what magnification....

This is what a real reticle should look like… and anyone willing to learn and worth their salt as a long distance or precision shooter is probably using one, and if they are not, they should be.