View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 8:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Somewhat off topic, but has the CA state DROS database ever been compromised?

I ask because of THIS story in Austrailia, where a very specific rash of burglaries against gun owners in New South Wales took place. The government of course denied the possibility of the Gun Registry being compromised, but check out this quote:

One robbery victim had eight guns stolen within months of being audited by police and his new address added to the registry.

"I was audited in May last year and robbed in October. I had eight weapons stolen from a secure safe," the victim said. I live in an estate of 70 homes and was the only place robbed. To me it was obvious I was targeted with information from somewhere.

Its not impossible that a crooked cop or city/state employee is selling or passing on DROS information to the wrong side of the law. It may also be the case that the bad guys simply hacked into the DROS system and stole the data digitally. In either event if a burglar had DROS information available, they'd have a literal map for exactly which residents to hit and what "payday" they can expect in the gunsafe.

Unfortunately , there's no way to prove the database was compromised before the OP's burglary. Even if it did happen I doubt the CA government would be in a hurry to fess up to security breach, and they'd be even less forthcoming if a city employee were passing on gun owner data to criminals.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.