View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 9:47 PM

Mark 4 is a great scope, you're not "settling". This seems to be the scope everyone is lusting after. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/435...-reticle-matte

Why is it so good? First the Horus reticle. Next the first focal plane. and lastly the matching milradian adjustments. The next scope with all 3 features cost $1000 more.

If you are really serious about long range shooting I would recommend getting the Magpul precision shooting DVD before you buy anything else. Scope buying is not to be taken lightly.

The following is my 2 cent... for what it's worth.

Your equipment depends on how you plan to shoot. For example, less then 300 yards from the standing: the scopes you mentioned are fine. I would set it up with a 0 MOA base with 2 peice rings.

For up to 600 yards you might look at a 20x or 30x scope with a 20 MOA base. Most will shoot from the prone with a bipod.

At 1k, I don't think you can beat the Nightforce NSX 42x.

Stick to 30mm or more tubes unless weight is an issue.

As for reticles. I would get the TRM then mildot. you will learn how to use them as you get better. But again, crosshairs may work for you if you plan to do a lot of running then shoot standing from short range.

1 piece rings with 20 MOA I put on my AR's. For bolt guns, it's 20 MOA at the base then 2 piece rings so I can set the scope lower. Do not get a 20 MOA base and a 20 MOA 1 piece ring.

Do more research, check more forums and wait. A scope can be with you a lifetime. Be sure you are 100% happy and there is nothing wrong with saving more money to buy what you really want.

My two scope brands are Leupold are Nightforce. If a Mark 4 is your first scope, then you are a very lucky man.