View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 4:36 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesob View Post
did i say it was the best way or the most accurate? no. it will give you a general idea of whats going on without buying gauges.
Ok how's that??

I just measured a hand full of new ammo It headspaces .008" to .012" under a go gage dimension add .006" for the No go dimension

Two pieces of scotch tape is .004" so you're still .004" to.008" under a go gage and .010" to .012" under a no go.

If you are using a fired case. Well what was the original dimension of the chamber it was fired in? Was it long or short on headspace?? You don't know.
And thats where I take exception to this technique. If you have nothing to reference from how do you know where you end up.?

The point I'm getting at is you have no idea what the headspace dimension is of the cartridge you are stacking layers of tape on.
So if you don't know what it's headspace dimension is how will you know how many layers of tape to add?

You can do this on cases that headspace of the rim, case mouth or belt but not on a rimless case with a shoulder. It's not accurate at all and will not even get you in the ball park. I would only recommend this technique when you are building rifles during or just after the battle of Armageddon
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
PSL BARRELS MACHINED TO ORDER PM FOR QUOTE
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !