View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 8:59 AM

The biggest thing I think that makes a difference is being a good employee. This involves not only good performance and attendance at work but good two way communication. As a SEL, I have been involved in 10 issues with reserve attendance by my sailors. 9 of them were simply a lack of knowledge by the employer and not much input by the Sailor to work through the issues. The single case left involved an employer who was more or less in a business where he didn't want to let the Sailor go as he was the only employee and the business would suffer. Although the law is on our side, one of the responsibilities of being a Senior Enlisted Leader is to maximize performance of our service members and that may be understanding that our reserve paycheck isn't what puts food on the table; it's their regular careers. Having the ability to be flexible with Service members schedules and drills can be beneficial, although may not be possible in every case. The key is to keep the lines of communications open between your command and your employer.