View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kingfamous View Post
Are they really trying to keep the spot open, or is the BLM getting it cleaned up to close it down? I hope we can rally up and keep this place open, it WAS a really great spot before it went to sh*t.
Originally Posted by Adjuster760 View Post

Also, I know I am a brand new member but you guys should be aware that the enviro freaks are chomping at the bit to close this area down. I have never been to this area but I have read the land use reports and it looks like almost the exact same area to me. I have a sneaking suspicion that the BLM is going to use well-meaning people like us to clean up areas like this, then sell us out to some NO name anti-human kangaroo grass rat protection fund.

That being said, I would still love to join in the clean up because my nagging eternal optimism forces me to believe that freedom is still a possibility in America.

If you guys want to check out the land use/environmental planning reports that I am talking about check this one out for starters:

From the report it looks like chunks of land in the area are already controlled by the "Multi-Species Habitat Conservation Plan." Seems to me these folks don't just frown upon scumbags dumping TV's and old freezers but basically any puplic use whatsoever--target shooting is specifically mentioned as a super bad no-no for protection of the sacred kangaroo grass rat. The enviros DO have a very specific playbook that they go to when shutting areas like this down. And they do work in conjunction with the BLM on land grabbing. Most of the BLM is made up of good people, but many of them do not know that they are pawns in a much larger game. I really hope we can make a good impression with the BLM and keep this are open as I only live about 15 minutes away and I'm eager to check it out.
I have had a couple PM's about this so I called BLM and asked. There is nothing in the works that the Palm Springs office knows about and the BLM person I spoke with said they would not use us to clean up knowing there was a closure, they would be up front about it if it were happening.

If any of you have any questions about this I was told you are welcome to call BLM at 760-833-7100 and ask for the BLM contact Rep.