View Single Post
Old 01-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Senioritis
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach1 View Post
One new thing to add starting this year gents. Don't use your cell while driving. Handsfree only.
Not until July 1st, 2008... so we have seven months of driving with a cell phone left.

Quote:
Transcript of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger Signing Legislation Requiring Drivers to Use Hands Free Devices

Time: 11:15 a.m.
Date: Friday, September 15, 2006
Event: Oakland Hilton, California Room, 1 Hegenberger Rd, Oakland, CA

GOVERNOR SCHWARZENEGGER:

Hello, everybody. It’s great to be here in Oakland. And first, before I talk about the bill signing, I just want to give you some good news, because I just heard this morning that California in August has created 37,000 new jobs. Now, just to show you how huge this is, and how fantastic this is, the rest of country, the whole United States, created 125,000 jobs. So we’re talking about California is creating almost 30 percent of all the jobs in the entire nation. So as you can see, the economy is back again, it’s booming. Our revenues every month are much greater than anticipated. So I’m very excited about that.

Now let’s get to the bill. Today we will be signing SB 1613. This is the hands-free cell phone bill that will save lives by making our roads safer. And I want to say thank you to Senator Simitian for his great, great work on this bill and for working with my office on this bill to perfect the bill. I want to thank him also for his great commitment to (IA) California, and to make our roads safe. He has been really extraordinary, to protect the people of California and I want to say thank you for that.

The simple fact is that it is really dangerous when you talk on your cell phone and drive at the same time. Hand-held cell phones are responsible for 1,000 accidents every month, and we have seen that there are very dangerous situations sometimes. We want to avoid that, and this is why we have here this bill. This bill doesn’t mean that you can’t talk on a cell phone; it just means that you should not hold a hand-held cell phone, you should use a headset or use a speaker system.

Also, there is an exception here that if you have to make an emergency call, then you can use the hand-held phone. And also, what is important is that this law will go into effect on July 1 of 2008. There will be a $20 fine if you’re caught the first time using a cell phone, and then $50 after that.

I think it is very important for people to know that even though the law begins in 2008, July of 2008, stop using your cell phones right now, because you’re putting people at risk. You just look away for a second, or for a split second, from what’s going on in front of you, and at that moment a child could be running out, and you could kill this child just because you were busy looking down and dialing on your cell phone. So pay attention to that, take this seriously. We want to really save lives here.

Thank you very much again, and.... blah blah blah