View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 5:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertish View Post
Other than this thread what can I show a dealer to keep from getting taxed? I purchased a firearm from gunbroker from a private party. I have a bill of sale, and the shipping is on a separate invoice. The FFL I'm using here demanded it be shipped from an FFL, and they're using that to say that they need to tax my purchase.
Is the firearm coming from outside of CA?

Is the firearm a C&R handgun?

Do you have a C&R FFL and CA DOJ COE?

All modern firearms coming from out of state are subject to sales tax due to recent CA BOE changes. This includes the shipping (total cost with everything).

The FFL can require that it be shipped from a FFL. It is not the law, but just the rules of the FFL. If you don't like it, then find another FFL. The sales tax has nothing to do with whether a FFL ships it or not, it has to do with the CA BOE.

Firearms from inside CA are not subject to sales tax if it is coming from a private party, is an occasional sale and not coming from a business (as I understand it, a private party can use a FFL to ship it and that is not considered coming from a business). If all three are not true, then it is subject to sales tax.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein