View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Again, thanks for all the positive comments!

Originally Posted by SarStyle View Post
Well I guess I will let you build mine....when can I expect it on my doorstep?
Whenever you drop a case at my doorstep with whatever you want cut out
Originally Posted by Cactus_Tim View Post
Should I get in line?
You already are
Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
Great write up! I liked the pic with the Vodka!
Thanks, gotta have it!

Originally Posted by finyllw View Post
I bought a transformer from a local electronics shop, 120ac to 24v dc. Hooked it up and didn't get any heat from the wire, and the ac side went open circuit after 5 minutes. I researched EB's op, he didn't mention ac/dc thing. Went online to Radio Shack, found thier transformer, and picked one up. It's a 120ac to 25vac. I didn't think this would work. I got back to the shop and much to MY suprise (EB already knew this) is worked just fine. I actually cut some foam. I couldn't find any 24 ga Nichromium wire locally, I did find 20ga. It's a little thicker but it has worked ok on my test. Finding the brass rod is a challenge, looks like Orchard Supply might have some. I'll let you know asap. Next up is to build a frame. So far i have $40 into this, but I am excited about the possibilities. I'm also thinkin about loaning/renting this thing out in case anybody wants to do thier own foam cutting. I'll keep you all posted.

Radio Shack part number for the transformer is 273-1512B
Yeah, sorry, as I mentioned in post 3 when I posted the diagram, I'm not an electrical engineer, I just forgot. Getting a brass rod was not easy, I found it in a industrial metal supply store.
Buy from Amazon? Use this link to shop and earn money for CGF at the same time!

Weapons Case Hotwire Foam Cutting

We can't help you ignore yourself. - CGN
Destruction is the way of life, destruction, mayhem, havoc, strife. - Bobby Blitz