View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 5:20 PM

Originally Posted by egDonald View Post
Just an update of sorts (yes, i know last post was last year).
I contacted Ron Etchells from his website and he is no longer doing qualifications for Sacramento County
Too bad, I like the idea of free re-quals for life!!!

I just recently attended California Security Training Academy and like it very much. Yes, it's true what they say, it is a combination of guard/exposed carry and discrete-carry during the course-work. However, the instructor did a pretty good job to differentiate situations between exposed guard carry and discrete-carry folks.
The training was good enough for me to pass the firing-qualification for my first discrete carry.
The instructors were open to discuss the details of discrete-carry, so I came out of that class satisfied with the level of training I got.
CSTA also has an "advanced" course, which focuses more on the shooting element of things; drawing from the discrete carry holster, rapid firing, taking cover and firing from cover.
I'm planning to take that course very soon - before the weather gets too warm to enjoy the outdoors.
CSTA for discrete-carry course & quals is $100
The CSTA advanced handgun training is $75.

I know LFI is recommended by a lot of CalGun'ers - and I chose CSTA mainly because of locality - I'm hoping this can be a substitute for the time-being, until I can wake my butt up earlier enough to get out to SVSC.
I'll consider LFI for future training. It beats spending $15 every so often at the gun range just to send bullets down range. I like the holster aspect of shooting and the aspect of moving and/or then shoot.
So what happens to those whom have qualified with him from sac county? Does he not honor them. This is the same kind of things that bugs me. Companies or shop owners offer life time warranty/re-qual and goes out of business and where do you go to get your stuff done when it was promised to you.