View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 7:13 AM

I was saying from personal experience I've encountered companies who needed +- .0005 tolerances but did not think about needing to coat three part after so when they did with a thick anodize the part was out of spec. I was implying that not everyone does the cad or g coding correctly like you by knowing the final dimensions needed. You as an engineer obviously knows to think of everything that has to happen to your part. As a machinist who just runs the prints given it's not my job to correct a prototype part that a designer that made a flaw on their part. It's like someone building a high end 2011 and after they finish fitting it decides to do a 2mm anodize and expect the slide to go back on like butter. All I meant was if you don't design parts and make them for a living it's very easy and not uncommon for the little things to slip your mind until you run into the issue. Anything with extremely tight tolerances needs to be planned for coating before the part is cut. in this case I was saying it could be a possibility that the jig was designed with maybe a 1mm coating and they could have maybe decided to go to a 3mm and the rail guides would be a tighter fit them they originally wanted. And that would make a big difference because without a mill you would use scratched on the jigs coating as indications of too deep a cut in either the depth or width. These jigs seemed to be designed to be newbie friendly. Not aerospace grade tolerances like you or I are use to working on