View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ View Post
Sorry I didn't write in my post all of the contents in the DOJ letter. The letter response from DOJ indicates that they discard the information with the serial numbers from the DROS after 5 days of the DROS period of time. It was an interesting enough response from DOJ that I have made copies and kept it with my firearms records. Obviously they felt it was legit enough to respond in writing to me.
Had to go look this up.

I think you may be misreading what they sent you.

PC 11106(a) requires the AG to keep the complete DROS for handguns, and (b)(1) says the office discards the information about long guns after 5 days - but no serial number info is currently collected for long guns.
Quote:
(b) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (d), the Attorney General shall not retain or compile any information from reports filed pursuant to any provision listed in subdivision (c) of Section 16585 for firearms that are not handguns, from forms submitted pursuant to Section 12084, as that section read prior to being repealed, for firearms that are not handguns, or from dealers’ records of sales for firearms that are not handguns. All copies of the forms submitted, or any information received in electronic form, pursuant to Section 12084, as that section read prior to being repealed, for firearms that are not handguns, or of the dealers’ records of sales for firearms that are not handguns shall be destroyed within five days of the clearance by the Attorney General, unless the purchaser or transferor is ineligible to take possession of the firearm. All copies of the reports filed, or any information received in electronic form, pursuant to any provision listed in subdivision (c) of Section 16585 for firearms that are not handguns shall be destroyed within five days of the receipt by the Attorney General, unless retention is necessary for use in a criminal prosecution.
[[ The oncle version of PC 11106, my usual source for PC text, shows only the version that takes effect in 2014; the still-effective version of 11106 is available from the state site, http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes.xhtml; the state site is canonical. ]]

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 05-01-2012 at 11:26 AM..