View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 7:28 AM
Veteran Member

When I first bought my RCBS 1010, it came with a factory defect that I was able to address. Until I was totally comfortable with its repeatbility, I used a Lee Perfect Scale to double check my loads. A $20 scale checking a $150 scale's accuracy.

You don't need to trim straight walled handgun brass, it doesn't get longer when sizing. Some guys trim their revolver rounds as a consistent length will yield a more consistent crimp (roll crimp for .44RM). Not needed yet.

You don't need a primer flip tray. When using Lee equipment, anything that requires primers to be flipped comes with a built in flip tray.

Just use you gun to do chamber checks for now.

I like using a separate crimp die, but I do not like the Lee FCD, especially with the larger calibers, like .45 ACP and .44RM. For now, just get the three die set. On a single stage press, crimping while seating will eliminate an extra step. If you find you like reloading and start shooting more, you may decide to move up to a press like a Lee Classic Turret or a progressive, at this time get a crimp die. My recommendation at that time would be to buy a Dillon crimp die from Brian Enos.

Personally, I would leave the Lee book on the list. It has by far the most load data, not critical, unless you happen to get some esoteric weight bullet or powder brand, many times Lee is the only place I have found a starting point for a less than mainstream load. In addition, his information on loading lead is really insightful. I think Lyman is a terrific book, I just wouldn't make it an either/or proposition.

You don't need a separate de-cap die. If you start loading for precision rifle, get one then.

Be conservative when you start out, have fun.

Last edited by Bill Steele; 04-30-2012 at 7:47 AM..