View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 9:53 AM
Default CCW Application concerns.

Originally Posted by cmartin72 View Post
I remember being in trouble as an adolescent, that is all I am trying to say. I dont recall everything. What I was saying is, I have no problem listing things but what if I dont remember everything....would that make me look like a liar, or just a forgetful applicant since it was over 20+ years ago. I have nothing to hide and I am not ashamed to admit I got into some trouble as a juvenile/teen. I think most of us probably did! If it keeps me from getting a LTC, well then thats how it goes....I am still a lawful gun owner.
You can go to the courthouse where you had your juvenile cases heard and ask to see your records. See WIC 827. You should make sure you don't have any serious charges or you may be prohibited. The CCW application mentions WIC 707(b) offenses and weapons offenses, but also states they only prohibit you until age 30. I think you wrote you were over 40. So you may be ok there.

Honesty is the best policy here, as others have stated. Also, did you ever petition the court under WIC 781 to have your records sealed?

A big issue is that the CCW application you submit must not contain any knowingly false statements. See PC 12051.

I would make sure you know exactly what may be out there before you submit and application. I'm a bit paranoid (ok a lot paranoid) so I ran my DMV record prior to submitting my CCW application just to make sure. I listed a "failure to come to a complete stop" citation even though it was dismissed. Best to play it safe.

BTW, my CCW experience was approximately 5 months between submitting application and receiving my permit. I deliberately waited until November to submit it to avoid the crush of initial applications.

Disclaimer: I *am* an attorney.
"True friends stab you in the front." Oscar Wilde

Sig P229 .40SW
Sig P239 .40SW
Kimber .45ACP 1911 Custom II
Ruger LC9
Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum
CZ 75B 9mm

Rem 870 12GA