View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 8:30 AM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

2011 - CRPA, CRPA Foundation Year in Review cont.

LOCAL ORDINANCE PROJECT ADVOCACY EFFORTS:

Seventeen years ago the NRA and CRPA joined forces to fight local gun bans being written and pushed in California by the gun ban lobby. Their coordinated efforts became the NRA/CRPA "Local Ordinance Project" (LOP) - a statewide campaign to fight ill-conceived local efforts at gun control and educate politicians about available programs that are effective in reducing accidents and violence without infringing on the rights of law-abiding gun owners. The NRA/CRPA LOP has had tremendous success in beating back most of these anti-self-defense proposals. Here are just a few highlights over past 12 months:

Sunnyvale & Azusa - Submitted opposition letters that helped defeat ill-conceived local ordinances, including a dealer regulation scheme that would have made it practically impossible to sell guns in these cities.

Fresno - Assisted with drafting a successful City Council resolution supporting a shall-issue firearm carry license policy.

Twentynine Palms - Submitted a letter opposing proposed amendment to the City's code that would have restricted target shooting on private land. The City followed our suggestions and adopted San Bernardino County's less-restrictive regulations.

Sutter County - Submitted an opposition letter to proposed code amendments prohibiting the discharge of firearms from certain levees. The proposal has been indefinitely postponed.

Pleasant Hill - Submitted an opposition letter that prompted the pulling of an ill-conceived ordinance that would have created restrictive zoning regulations for firearm dealers. The letter also led to termination of the secretive ad hoc committee behind the ordinance.

Los Angeles - Submitted a letter opposing proposed expansion of LA's gun purchaser warning letter program. The proposal has been indefinitely postponed.

Campbell & Oakley - Submitted letters opposing now-enacted ordinances that restrict firearm dealers. Follow up to come soon.

To contribute to the CRPA Foundation and support these and other similar Second Amendment cases, visit www.crpafoundation.org.

OTHER CRPA ACTIVITIES and ACCOMPLISHMENTS:

Coordinated over 30 state championship shooting matches throughout the state.
Wrote and published 12 issues of The Firing Line magazine.
Assisted UCLA's Second Amendment Society in developing a panel discussion regarding gun rights.
Sent out special election alerts to CRPA members living in Assembly District #4 and State Senate Districts #28 and #17 with candidate evaluations.
Half Page 6-month Ad begins running in the PORAC News.
Participated in the Pacific Air Gun Expo.
Participated in the "Truth Rally" and press event in downtown Los Angeles organized by the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, the Cal Guns Foundation, and the Second Amendment Foundation.
Secured the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center - Folsom Shooting Club for August of 2012 to initiate our new family friendly picnic/bar-b-que/shooting event.
Manned a CRPA booth and spoke at the awards ceremony of the California Combat Match 3 coordinated by the California Army National Guard at Camp San Luis Obispo. This event proved to be very effective in developing our "Train-A-Soldier" fundraiser for the Foundation. Selling Limited Edition AR-15's customized for CRPA to raise funds for litigation and to assist the Cal Guard. In addition, we used this event to begin development of multi-gun matches with these the Cal Guard.
Developed and introduced the CRPA Sportsmen's Business Alliance to assist CRPA business and club members engaged in firearms retail, firearms training, or management of a shooting club or range.
The CRPA Foundation submitted a letter correcting and clarifying some of the areas of California firearm law addressed in a draft ATF Study that could result in banning the importation of self-defense shotguns.
Spoke before the NRA South Bay Members Council.
Renegotiated the CRPA Office lease, garnering a 20% decrease for three years, three months free rent and substantial renovation of the office space at the building owner's expense, including all new paint and carpeting throughout.
CRPA leadership attended the NRA Annual Meeting in Pittsburgh and participated in several important strategic meetings over the 4-day event.
Spoke to the West L. A. NRA Members Council in Culver City.
Attended the Arizona State Rifle and Pistol Association's Board meeting and Annual Banquet and met with their President Noble Hathaway, Keynote speaker Otis MacDonald and the SAF's Alan Gottlieb.
President Tony Montanarella and Executive Director John Fields produced the first monthly video report to the BOD & members. These video reports are sent out as alerts, posted on the CRPA website, and posted to Twitter and our CRPA Facebook pages. Seven more have followed each month.
CRPA Board members Liz Smith, Wesley Morris, and Ron Morales manned a CRPA booth at the 2011 Golden Gate Action Pistol/IDPA Championship in Richmond, CA.
Herb Williams and Kevin Thomason manned the CRPA Booth at the Shooting Sports Fair in Zamora, CA.
CRPA Board members Tony Montanarella, Tom Gaines, Mike Barranco, Jason Horn, Jon Monroe, Fred Oey, Tim Wheeler and Rima and I manned the CRPA Booth at the 3-Day Raahauge's Shooting Sports Fair. We developed a new brochure which featured information about CRPA, CalGuns, and The Appleseed Project. Special Thanks to Fred Oey, Jacob Rascon, and Bob Zio who helped design the brochure, get it printed, and who coordinated the dissemination of these combined brochures from multiple booth locations in the fair.
Increased our activity and the number of followers on our CRPA Facebook page... Now with nearly 1,500 members.
Secured NRA Executive Vice President Wayne La Pierre as keynote speaker for the 2012 Annual Banquet in Ontario. Secured Ronnie Barrett, CEO of Barrett Firearms and Arizona's Pima County Sheriff Paul Babeu as guest speakers.
Developed a new CRPA web video.
CRPA's Number 1 Membership Recruiter Kathy Graham recruited 31 new members between April 13 and July 25 and worked the Annual Reserve Peace Officers Conference in San Jose.
Worked the CRPA booth at the 2-day Santa Barbara Gun Show. Special thanks to Paul Dougherty for arranging the free booth!
CRPA Board member Tom Gaines manned the CRPA Booth at the Del Mar Gun Show.
Ran half-page ads and articles in Western Outdoor News.
Multi-year memberships for businesses and clubs were introduced.

Jacob Rascon, (aka) Pennys Dad
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association.
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Psa 144:1-2
1. Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle 2. My loving-kindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, My shield and the One in whom I take refuge, Who subdues my people under me.