View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildog8812 View Post
I was wondering, if I had my rifle zeroed with a 10 mph wind left to right at a certain distance and I shot at the same location on a different day with all of the same conditions (ie: temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, ect) except on this day there is no wind, would this effect the drop of the bullet?
Yes, it can. With a right hand twist barrel, the bullet will tend to hit low with a left wind and high with a right wind. Not sure why, but I have seen it on target enough to know to correct for it when the wind changes sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggsb View Post
Really??? I'd love to see the math behind some of the comments here.
Yes, really.

Quote:
First, the effect of gravity on bullet drop is completely unrelated to the distance traveled.
Except that distance traveled affects time-of-flight, which gives gravity more time to do its thing.

Quote:
Second, any "updraft" substantial enough to counter the gravitational drop would need to be huge.
Don't know how "huge" it would have to be, but we see it all of the time on the target.

Quote:
The best instructors will tell you that if it can't be proved mathematically it's just opinion. There are plenty of myths and urban legends in this discipline which are assumed be fact just because they are repeated often enough.
Just opinion? That would imply that "science" is omniscient. And there are plenty of facts in this discipline that likely cannot be explained, but after tens of thousands of rounds on target, they also cannot be denied.