View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobun View Post
Is anyone here a teacher who serves with the National Guard or Reserves? I've been kicking around the idea of joining forever and I'm not getting any younger. I'm 29 and want to serve and know the clock is ticking. I'm currently a teacher and wonder how that impacted other teachers who joined since I'm assuming you'll have to be gone for at least part of the school year.

Anyone have any insights or advice on how this impacts your employment with the school district if you have to miss part of the year?
You are my twin! I'm 28 and a teacher that has been thinking about the same thing too. I was looking at my teaching contract and the only thing mentioned about military leave was that it "shall be provided in accordance with statutory provisions." What that specifically means in the context of my district, I have no idea. There is a teacher I know at my school that has been in the reserves for years, and I guess it has worked out for him. Other than a deployment, it seems like getting the initial training completed would be the most time consuming aspect. I have been thinking about Army National Guard infantry, and if you do the combined basic and AIT, it is something like 15 weeks long total, which is way longer than summer break. I don't know if it is possible to split those up. If so, I suppose one could theoretically complete all of basic during the summer, assuming one started right after school got out and finished the moment school started, but that schedule miracle seems highly unlikely. Once I was in, are there opportunities to do some extended trainings beyond the regular 2 weeks during the summer, or even short deployments? I'll keep my eye on this thread, as I am also very interested in any more insight from those that really know the scoop.