View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 2:24 PM
bwiese's Avatar
bwiese bwiese is offline
I need a LIFE!!
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Jose
Posts: 26,975
iTrader: 3 / 100%

Originally Posted by Firearms View Post
I want to buy a NAA .22 Short. I've tried almost all of the FFLs on the list in addition to many others, but I've had no luck yet; all of them don't want to modify it, except for 1, but he wanted to charge me $1,000 for just the work alone. Can anybody recommend me a good FFL that might be willing to do this at a reasonable price? Preferably in the Los Angeles area, but really anywhere is fine.

Your problem is not your FFL, it's with your gun - you've picked a difficult gun.

It's simply way too short, and would need an extended barrel to get to the minimum barrel length and min. overall length - and such a barrel is not a drop-in situation.

The only way I could see doing this is to drill out the barrel, tack weld in a long 22 rifled bore liner in (that actually WORKS/fires safely), and then after transfer, chop it and recrown.

This is SIGNIFICANT work and kinda mutilating a quality gun.

Either as a single-action revolver or single-action pistol, it will be hard to make this gun Roster-exempt. Snubnosed 'detective' revolvers are similarly problematic due to the 3" min barrel length / 7.5" min overall length for the dimensional compliance portion of the single-action revolver Roster exemption.

("Single-shotting" a revolver is likely something that is difficult if not possible nor is recommended - unless you can fabricate/install a non-rotating single shot 'slab' chamber to replace the cylinder, which is quite an effort.)

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Reply With Quote