View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 4:33 PM

Usually i have suggestions for situations like this, coming from a similar background to yours (at least with my parent's views on me owning firearms) but the way i'm reading this your parents are going to be a tough sell. Unfortunately I had to just stick it out and wait until i was of age to purchase, but i managed to help turn my parents' fears down a little by doing a lot of research (as you already seem to have done) and presenting my opinions in as nonabrasive of a manner as possible, which i'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you have.

The only thing i could really suggest to you for now is try to get involved in a target shooting sport. I did this by getting involved in winter and summer biathlon (both olympic sports, iirc). The club i got involved in had club-owned rifles and they were only available at official training, safety briefings, and at races. Plus the exercise was an added bonus (my parents loved that i was out being active)! On the downside if your parents are that against you even handling firearms consent was required for underage persons when I shot biathlon, and i doubt this has or will change. (for legal liability reasons and whatnot)

You are (at least you read like you are) an incredibly well-versed person for someone your age and i think if you keep at (just don't nag them to death) it you will eventually reach some sort of compromise. Worst that happens is you just have to wait.

Last edited by Maleficarum; 07-27-2011 at 4:36 PM..