View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 9:32 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy101 View Post
I have a question: I went to Turners to do a PPT for a handgun, and they would not accept a mortgage statement provided by the buyer as a secondary proof of residency. My question is why, as it is tied to a physical address like a utility bill and is essentially the same thing as a lease agreement except its between you and the bank?

I know its not on the DOJ list of criteria, but when I called them, their position was that the list they provide is not all inclusive, but rather examples of what would qualify, and for the dealer to use those examples and their best judgement as to what to accept.

So even after the salesperson who was nice enough to call the corporate office and ask them if it was ok, he was told it was not and we were not allowed to do the PPT.
If you've got the name of the DOJ rep that you talked to, please PM us.

Turner's participated with NRA, CRPA and other stakeholders who were allowed to participate when the DOJ first drafted regulations for handgun residency when the law was passed. As you likely know, the law requiring residency did not specify acceptable documents. Instead regulations were drafted in order to quantify what could be accepted.

Efforts by pro-2A folks were somewhat successful in the effort to try to allow as many types of proof as possible but in the end the final regulations still reflect the onerous nature of the law, and ultimately, they still unduly burden a lot of customers who find it difficult to prove residency for a number of common-sense reasons.

Yet, as a few posters have noted- a lot of what is acceptable doesn't prove 100% that you really live at a given residence, in the same way that not providing a given document doesn't mean that you don't live at given address.

While it is not uncommon for answers to be inconsistent when talking to the DOJ field staff, we've never heard the one they gave to you giving dealers "judgement" as to what to accept or that the list of acceptable documents was "not inclusive". The actual regulations regarding title as proof of residency are very specific and the language lacks reference to mortgage statements/house payments:

Property deed that bears the individual's name and either of the following:

1) The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form

or

2) The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto.

"Property deed" means either or the following:

A) A valid deed of trust for the individual's property of current residence that identifies the individual as a grantee of the trust

or

B) A valid Certificate of title issued by a licensed title insurance company that identifies the individual as a title holder to his or her property of current residence.

We'll contact them and see if anything has changed. Anything that makes it easier for everyone to prove residency is a win for everyone. We'll let you know.

18 Stores Located throughout SoCal
Oxnard | Reseda | Pasadena | West Covina
Torrance | Signal Hill | Fountain Valley
Norwalk | Orange | Chino Hills | Victorville
Rancho Cucamonga | San Bernardino | Corona
Temecula | San Marcos | Kearny Mesa
El Cajon | Lake Forest Now Open

Store Location Info

Shop online at www.turners.com

Our Weekly Ad |