View Single Post

Old 06-01-2011, 3:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCamper View Post
ETA 5/12/11 4:45 PM: I heard back from the Deputy Chief of the Demonstration State Forests. He said he'd get back to me with specifics sometime early next week.
I heard back from the Deputy Chief and he says he hasn't forgotten me. He's waiting on his legal folks. In the mean time, I've been doing some research and have found the following:

State Forests are covered in the Public Resource Code, and of course in the CCR. I found PRC 4656 which states,

Quote:
4656. This chapter does not interfere with the reasonable use of state forests for hunting, fishing, recreation and camping, except as otherwise provided by law.
And in the CCR, Title 14, Div 1.5, Chap 9, s 1413,

Quote:
1413. Weapons.

(a) No person shall discharge any firearm, air or gas weapon, or bow and arrow in the vicinity of camps, residence sites, recreation grounds and areas, and over lakes or other bodies of water adjacent to or within such areas, whereby any person is exposed to injury as a result of such discharge.

(b) Without limiting the foregoing, no person shall discharge any of the above named weapons or any other weapon while within 150 yards (137.20 m) of any designated camping area.
There are also sections 1435 and 1436 which close some areas to hunting, trapping, and "use of firearms". Also section 1438 authorizes the temporary closure of "a particular activity", and section 1439 authorizes temporary closures to entry. So far it's looking like a mix of UOC/LOC is legal in these lands, with hunting an shooting allowed in many areas.

For completeness I'll include a link to the State Forests website here as a reference to look for any posted closures or restrictions.

Notice that in the Soquel State Forest web page it states that firearms are not allowed in the forest. I don't know if this is a mistake, and that they actually mean the use of firearms is not allowed, or if there is some other code that I have not found yet that gives them this broad authority.

Last edited by MudCamper; 06-30-2011 at 11:37 AM..