View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 10:51 PM
CGN Contributor

Norcal,

I had some of the very same concerns with the original wording of this bill. We discussed this on CalGuns last month in great detail....

Here's the bottom line result for CA Residents:

(4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall: (i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency

So the fix is in, and we have nothing to worry about. This amendment passed the Senate 28-0. This now applies to only those who LIVE in a free state that has a reciprocity agreement with Utah.

For those (of us) who live in the USSR of Kaliphorhniah, or other states (where the Constitution is void or prohibited by law), you can still get your permit from Utah.

I talked with Rep. Oda, and he (and Valentine) had no problem with putting in this fix so we can continue to renew, and others could get their Utah permit. Even if you live in a shall issue state, but that state doesn't have a reciprocity agreement, you can get your Utah permit.

This bill affects ONLY THOSE who live in states that have reciprocity agreements with Utah. The bill is like saying "HAY, those who live in shall issue states that have reciprocity agreements need to get a permit from your own state before getting one from Utah".

I hope this clears this up.

Erik.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=388197
Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor
CCW USA FIREARMS TRAINING
www.CCWUSA.com
"like us" on Facebook for class discounts
www.facebook.com/CCWUSA