View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
True about the mag. False about transporting. Niether a long gun nor a handgun is required to be locked while transporting unless, the handgun is concealed in any way and/or you are traveling through a GFSZ. When traveling through a GFSZ, all firearms must be locked!
That was a confusing reply. Are you saying he was right about mag and wrong about transport, or me. I assume me since you quoted me, but we seem to have the same opinion. Just wanted to clarify (gun free zones aside)

edit: sorry, I see why, I said lock handgun. But I am still under the belief that unless openly carried on a holster, it must be put in a locked container, a trigger or barrel lock does not count.

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code 12276 or 12276.1 must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1.
edit2: In fact, it is pretty clearly illustrated in the Penal Code that you must lock handguns for transport. (I understand it says concealed, but I read that as is simply in the car constitutes concealed, which I'm guessing is why that above link describes it as such, though it does omit OC in the holster)

Originally Posted by 12025.
(a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when
he or she does any of the following:
(1) Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her
control or direction any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable
of being concealed upon the person.
Originally Posted by 12026.1.a
12026.1. (a) Section 12025 shall not be construed to prohibit any
citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or
is temporarily within this state, and who is not prohibited by state
or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a
firearm, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that
the following applies to the firearm:

(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the
vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than
the utility or glove compartment.
Ie. driving with a pistol on the passenger seat is going to get you a visit to the gray bar motel
Respect all, fear none.

Last edited by tonb; 01-31-2011 at 12:19 PM..