View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 10:25 AM
ke6guj's Avatar
ke6guj ke6guj is offline
CGN Contributor
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 909
Posts: 23,786
iTrader: 42 / 100%

Originally Posted by CBO View Post
So, if im understanding this correctly, the imformation I recieved from a local ffl is false. My mother has gifted me a rifle in GA. I went to find out how to get it here. They told me if I was going out there to visit soon (which I am) that I should simply flly back with it (checked, with airline notification of course) and then fill out the DOJ registration and pay my $19. Is this false??
OK, it sounds like mom is still alive. In that case, with her being a non-licensed (doesn't have an FFL) resident of GA, and you being a non-licensed resident of CA, it is a violation of Federal law for her to give you the rifle and for you to import it back to CA. You must use a CA FFL to facilitate the transfer from her to you. You can't just bring it back with your and fill out a CADOJ form. A CADOJ form does not exempt you from federal law, and there is no federal intrafamily exemption.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.