View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 3:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
Personally, I only think certain types of felonies should result in loss of firearms rights as a part of the sentence, and it should never be done for any sort of misdemeanor or infraction; for things like parole or probation I would say the same if the crime was not such where loss of firearms rights could become a part of the sentence. I also think that the really serious (especially violent) felonies should result in harsher treatment, with a more liberal use of the death penalty (armed robbers, rapists, some arsonists, etc. used to get it in the States for their crimes) and long-term sentences; the term felony should really be limited to things that are quite serious in nature, as was originally the case. Something like being in unlawful possession of a machine gun (which shouldn't be a crime at all) should be more of a misdemeanor.
I still say the only two types of crime that should limit gun ownership are the ones that result in the death penalty and the ones that result in life without possibility of parole. The gap should be closed from the other end.