View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 7:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
I'm of the opinion that if, after serving their time and being released, someone isn't considered fit to exercise the entire set of rights they have, then society has no business releasing them.

If they don't have a right to firearms, why would you trust them with any sort of weapon? You wouldn't. But the fact that you're releasing them means that you're trusting them to not avail themselves of a weapon. If you can't trust them to properly handle a weapon once they've acquired it, why would you trust them to not attempt to acquire one? You wouldn't, right?

Taking that line of reasoning to its logical conclusion, it follows that if you don't trust someone to exercise all the rights that all members of society are supposed to have, then you shouldn't release them back into society at all.
In general I agree with you but this isn't a perfect world and we can't just imprison people until they are ready to responsibly exercise their rights.

I see firearm prohibition as a punishment just like their jail sentence.

There should definitely be a process available for truly rehabilitated felons to restore their rights and possibly certain felonies that don't carry the punishment at all but I do think there will always be prohibited people.