View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 8:11 AM
Jicko Jicko is offline
Calguns Addict
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,802
iTrader: 20 / 100%

Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
If you buy from an out of state company, you are responsible for paying sales tax (see your CA income tax form). The Internet Tax Freedom Act talks about taxes specifically to Internet sales, not taxes which apply to all purchases.

In the case of firearms, the CA business is required to collect sales tax if it comes from a business. CA BOE Sales Tax Firearms Information 495.0843, 495.0848 &295.1675.600

I hate collecting sales tax, but I have no choice if I want to follow the law. This is why I mention that if it comes from a private party and can get a letter, then I don't need to collect the sales tax.
Please take the sales tax collection discussion elsewhere! This topic had been beaten to death on other sub-forums if you do a "search" for it.

In short, end consumers are responsible for the sales tax (use tax), to be reported on their CA income tax.... but FFLs are not responsible for collecting them on their behalf (for those who did, they were acting on an erroreous directive from BOE). Anyways, start a new thread if you want to *discuss* it more.
- LL
NRA Certified Firearm Instructor

New to Calguns, check here first:

Last edited by Jicko; 11-06-2009 at 9:55 AM..
Reply With Quote