View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 5:23 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSystems View Post
What are the rules for legally transporting guns in a SUV or pickup truck which does not have a separate truck to lock things in?

(1) For example, you have guns in a closed cloth case (zipper closed but unlocked) and the ammo is stored separately in closed metal box (unlocked) in the back area.

(2) Same as #1 but the guns are on the front passenger seat or in the front foot rest area

(3) Same as #1 but the ammo is an open case.

(4) Same as #1 but stored under the seat.

In these examples, are the guns somehow considered "Loaded" ?

From reading this thread, it seems there are no consistent rules or rather the existing rules seem to get constantly redefined. It seems like the answer depends more on the interpretation or misinterpretation by LEO, judges, congressmen or lawyers.

Assume the guns no trigger locks and have no bullets in the chamber, tube or inserted magazines. Also assume you are not near a school or government office.

First Post
Wrong thread - this is about loaded, not transport, but anyway ...

How do I legally transport a HANDGUN?

How do I legally transport a LONG GUN?

How do I legally transport AMMUNITION?

Short answer: handguns in a completely enclosed locked case; such case can be wherever is convenient. Long guns wherever you like.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum - most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Heller was 2008. McDonald was 2010. Things started getting bad with GCA-1968.
It takes time to unwind 40 years of bad law.