View Single Post

Old 02-27-2019, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Thanks, million ants. Lots of good info!

Questions, please. So it sounds like there was plenty of time to zero? Do they allow you to zero from only certain yardages? How do they take into account guys who prefer to zero at 50 yards versus those at 100 yards versus those at 200 yards?

Front Sight usually goes into great detail about minute details. Did they go much into sling use, as far as mounting, methods of slinging, etc.? If your mounting is not ideal, do they give you time to reconfigure your rifle? If they do, was there any separate location to work on them?

At 75 and 100 yards, why did you shoot from the kneeling as opposed to from the prone? Was there a time limit?

As light as my bipod is, any extra weight sitting at the far end of the rifle can be heavy, especially when trying to steady your shot standing upright. If you were to do it over again, would you use a bipod or not?
Youíre welcome to zero at any range. We spent the most time at 100 during the zeroing portion. I already had a 100 yard zero so I sat out a few relays to let my partner work through some equipment failures. Some had 50 yard zeros after the AR course and my partner had a 200 yard zero. The 30-06 hunting rifle, I believe had a 200 yard zero. They chart they handed out was data for bullet drop based off a 100 yard zero but they werenít holding you to that for the specific curriculum. As we shot through the course of fire you were expected to make note of your holdovers or compensation. I had a great dope chart already, some made feverish notes, others winged it off the charts they offered us. Itís a structured course, but itís more of an intermediate course. It seems they understand that there are multiple ways to get to the destination and itís a little more open than say, the handgun class. Having taken the practical rifle course the week prior and being frustrated at the lack of attention sort of, this didnít seem like it was built around the lowest common denominator. If you were firm in your desire to blade off to the side while prone they seemed to let plenty of people do that. But on the other hand if you were struggling, Dennis McCarthy was there to talk you through the shot process and he really helped a few people get through their own road blocks that weekend.

They spent a few minutes demonstrating the hasty sling, the Ching sling and a...uhhhh....I think it was just a tac sling actually. They encouraged the use of slings for stabilization. Took me a few relays to adjust it just right. Not so much specifics of mounting, but Iím sure if you needed help theyíd have addressed it. Thereís a fumble table of sorts for fussing on the rifles, next to the berm. I made adjustments between relays and they held it for me while I did so.

I chose to shooting kneeling simply because it worked in the AR course, and not knowing what the days course of fire would be and how much time Iíd get to try working through various methods I just stuck with that. They did suggest we try the different positions though. Thatís on me, not the course. Thereís a time limit but itís GENEROUS. you will not feel rushed in the test. Like the suit guy says, I guarantee it. You have time to get into position and time to shoot. Itís not a speed race. The test is about 2moa accuracy not imminent threat response. This is truly a pathway to the precision course. If you have trouble out to 350 youíd hold up the 800 yard class, I feel. So to be fair, you should work on the mid range stuff and show proficiency, while the practical/AR course didnít seem to me to be the building blocks for how I shoot beyond 1000 yards.

In day 3 they suggested that if our bipod was heavy and we wanted to take it off in the closer shots to go ahead. They didnít announce a restriction regarding this for the test. The only thing was if you had an additional rest, such as the provided ammo cans and sand bags, you had to put them behind you while at the ready, set the rifle down, then setup your position. I used a beer can sized rear squeeze bag with a loop that fit around my hand out of the way. Like a knuckle bag almost.

I think the class and the test is applicable, fair, and fun. Itís challenging and exposed me to sling use that I had avoided. I have a new standard to achieve that will be helpful for me as I want to enter a local club precision shoot. I would suggest a bolt rifle owner to take the course. A lever or pump gun would not be a hinderance, so long as itís sub 2 moa. The flatter cartridges such as 6.5 creedmoor will have a benefit, while a 55 grain 1:9 AR would require some luck and skill that I probably donít possess. The only time I felt rushed was trying to reset the zoom on the clock at 35 yards because I forgot to ahead of time. Aside from that everything was slow and easy going.