View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkpugs@gmail.com View Post
I agree ,and for what it's worth revolvers were pistols for more than a century before semi auto "pistols " were designed

All handguns were "pistols" for centuries before revolvers were invented. Since there was no other type of handgun, handgun and pistol were synonymous.

This is a pistol:

And so is this:

And so is this:

Then Samuel Colt invented a new class of handguns called revolvers. Unlike pistols, revolvers have chambers that are separate from the barrel.

As a marketing tool, Colt at first called his revolvers "revolving pistols" to explain what his product was, because everyone knew what a pistol was but nobody knew what the heck a "revolver" was. But they did call their Deringer pistol a pistol, because that's what it is, a pistol.

As time went on and people became familiar with revolvers the "revolving pistol" nomenclature was dropped and revolvers were called what they are - revolvers.

Notice Colt made a distinction between their revolvers and their "automatic" pistols. If revolvers are pistols, why didn't Colt just call all of their handguns "pistols", or "revolving pistols" and "automatic" pistols?

Some people call magazines "clips", even though they are two different things.

Some people call chimpanzees "monkeys", even though chimpanzees are apes, not monkeys.

Some people call revolvers "pistols", even though revolvers and pistols - while both are types of handguns - are different.

What matters is the ATF makes a distinction between pistols and revolvers. They classify handguns as pistols or revolvers. If revolvers are pistols why are they named separately?

Quote:
Definition of “Handgun”

Pub. L. 99–408, §10, Aug. 28, 1986, 100 Stat. 922, provided that: “For purposes of section 921(a)(17)(B) of title 18, United States Code, as added by the first section of this Act, ‘handgun’ means any firearm including a pistol or revolver designed to be fired by the use of a single hand. The term also includes any combination of parts from which a handgun can be assembled.”

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE...p44-sec921.htm
Notice that the ATF defines a pistol as a handgun that has two characteristics:
  • a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);
  • and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

and notice that a revolver doesn't meet that definition.

In the bound book I keep for the ATF as required for my FFL 03 under firearm type I list pistols as pistols and revolvers as revolvers.

If people want to call revolvers "pistols", call magazines "clips", call chimpanzees "monkeys", call Caitlyn Jenner a "woman", and call the shoulder thing that goes up a "barrel shroud", they can of course. It doesn't mean they are right.

Quote:
pistol noun pis·tol \ˈpi-stəl\

1: a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
I'm happy to help people who have specific questions, but I ignore threads that begin with the command "school me".