View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 2:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Talking My Vulcan CA Legal AR-15 build (+ picts)...

UPDATE: newer parts listed updates and images below

So, got my Vulcan lower today. I will document my entire build in this thread. It will take a few weeks as parts roll in, but all have been ordered. So, check back often and let me know if any questions.

PARTS I USED:
-Vulcan CA Legal lower V-15
-RRA Entry Tactical Upper, T-marked, 16” carbine 1:9 twist chrome lined barrel
-Badger Tactical Latch Gen II
-RRA Tactical CAR Stock
-RRA LPK with RRA National Match 2 stage Trigger, Ergo grip, RRA Winter Trigger Guard
-EOTech 512 sight + Butler Creek flip up lens cover
-GG&G Accucam EOTech quickrelease mount
-GG&G rear flip up BUIS
-GG&G Tactical Bipod
-Bushmaster 10round mag + Magpull
-PMag 10 round polymer mags + Magpulls
-Watson weapons extended rear takedown pin
-YHM Carbine Tactical Handguards (4 rail Picatinny)
-YHM 5C1 Phantom flash suppressor
-YHM-9835H front BUIS/gas block sight
-Aimpont 3x magnifier, Aimpoint TwistMount, Aimpoint spacer
-CQD Rear Sling Mount
-CQD two/single point sling
-CQD Vertical Grip
-Bullet Button mag-lock kit + FreeLock button
-Solarforce CREE R2 (290 Lumens) Strike Flashlight w/ QD Lever Mount
-UAG Tactical front rail sling hook mount
-Rear takedown detent pin/spring mod
-Phase 5 EBRv2 "new version" extended bolt release

--------- 12.28.05 - Part 1 ------------

Vulcan had the lower into my FFL's hands before the 10 day wait. The lower seems pretty nice (for a newbies opinion). Black finish seems okay, but not great (scratched off in some small areas and a little splotchy). The steel Promag magazine (verified by Vulcan) seems pretty sub-par quality (which is why I will swtich with a Bushmaster 10 round CA legal). The lower is MUCH nicer in quality than the magazine though. Mine is stamped Inver G MN V15 5.56mm.

As for the epoxy and pin issue. Mine seems to have VERY LITTE epoxy! The image below shows the biggest amount, and it looks bigger in the photo than it is. I can look up between the mag and the receiver and see NO other epoxy all the way around the mag - anywhere (I have seen other photos of epoxy all around the mag)! The mag release 'seemed' to have epoxy, but when I pressed real hard with thumb pressure it poped loose and now actuates as expeced and does not bind. Other than this glob, I can see no other epoxy nor can I see the pin (obviously). Also, 1 other post noted their epoxy was soft and rubbery like RTV, well, mine is rock hard like 1 would expect.

--------- 1.3.06 - Part 2 ------------

It seems me getting the main upper, stock, lower parts kit is really dragging from NY, so here is the latest build details.

So, after doing all of the reserach I could on removing the Vulcan mag and replacing with a nice good mag like a BM, I decided it was not that hard and printed out the directions I bastardized togther and went for it.

this animation shows a few of the steps of interest that I always wondered about as I could not find elsewhere. the (1) shows the amount of epoxy that came out of just the mag release area (circled in yellow) and the you can see the total amount from the rest of the removal. The (2) image shows the inside of the receiver and how the pin and epoxy are put in. the (3) shows how I marked the mag, lined it up, and drilled (using a 3/32 bit) down through the hole Vulcan made for the pin and thorugh the side of the mag to let my new pin go through and lock the mag in place. the (4) image shows the final lower with the new BM, 10 rnd legal mag. Nice!

Some thoughts: I found the pin and hole in my receiver to be exactly 3/32 in diameter and just a hair over 3/4 of an inch in length as my pin was driled into the oother side. I have read others drilled using a 1/8 inch bit, but that would widen the hole for no reason - so 3/32 is the size. though I am a novice (though mechanically inclined) and went slow, the entire change took about 1 hour as I taped off, and went slow and easy and used just house hold tools. There was a lot more epoxy in my mag relase area that was actually locking the mag release spring in, so I had to get that out. I used some old junky jewlers drivers to do the fine removal of expoxy. A lot less in the receive rthan I expected. In the end, pretty easy. Hardest part was crushing the mag enough to get it out.

--------- 1.18.06 - Part 3 ------------

okay, time to finish off this post.

I think it turned out awesome for a newbie, first timer, new rifle owner, first build. The RRA upper came pre-built, so I built up the lower, trigger, hand guards, stock, etc.

NOTES: I did this using 3 punches 1/16, 5/8, 1/32 (from Home Depot), hammer/meat tenderizer, electrical tape (for protection), hex wrench (grip bolt).

It took me about 2 hours to do it all as I went slow and followed detailed directions for building from AR15.com. The RRA upper merged great with the Vulcan lower. no issues - which some have had in the past. hardest part was getting the hammer pin in (part of the National Match 2 stage trigger kit) since it is under spring tension and when finally in, it bound up the hammer pin (or spring) a bit until I worked it in a little. still not 100% freely moving, but I think/hope it will loosen up. other weird issue was that the RRA lower came with a hex head bolt (not a flat head screw driver) for the grip bolt. that presented a problem having a hex that long. but I improvised. other than that, pretty flawless following those directions and only had 1 detent pin fly off into my hair only to 2 recovered.

Also, I used a product by Watson Weapons they call an 'extended take down pin' - nice $7.00 product that allows for faster pivoting it open to reload since fixed mag. as well, the images will show the nail polish/crayon FIRE SAFE fill-in job I did. turned out pretty well - though I liked nail polish better. The YHM hand-guards seem VERY solid, nice and super affordable. Allow for the adding of other options (light, handle, GPS, bobble head, etc.) and nicer than the stock plastic junk. All the RRA stuff seems super nice quality. DIG the Ergo grip. Much like a Houge, but a nice back-strap-dove tail piece that molds up into the lower. The Phantom YHM-5C1 flash suppressor went on as easy as the GG&G rear BUIS.

8.5 pounds as you see it here (unloaded). Seems a bit heavy compared to the original AR15 design weight as reported by Duncan Long. Granted, I do have a heavier sight w/mount and quick release, and aluminum hand-guards that are heavier than the stock plastic. 33"-36.75" in total length.

--------- 12.10.08 - Part 3 - Updates ------------

About 3 years now and many thousands of rounds later. Here is a newer photo of current configuration. Added an Aimpoint Magnifier, BB, some PMags (but kept my hard to find BM 10/20 mag of course as it is a proven performer).. Still fires as good as day one. LOVE that Aimpoint out at 100 yards and the GG&G Tactical Bipod is pretty awesome as well.

--------- 4.8.09 - Part 4 - Updates ------------

New parts list additions and a newer more current photo added. Since '08, I added a CREE R2 (290 Lumens) Solarforce Strike Flashlight w/ QD Lever Mount, CQD Rear Sling 2 point Mount, CQD vertical Grip, UAG Tactical front rail sling hook mount. Removed the A2 front swivel sling mount.

--------- 6.4.09 - Part 4 - Updates ------------

Removed A2 fixed front sight for a YHM-9835H flip up gas block sight (not seen here). added rear takedown detent pin mod kit, Badger tactical latch.

WTS: Gun stuff & things

Last edited by glock_this; 12-31-2009 at 9:07 AM.. Reason: parts list update & new images