View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 4:43 PM

I'm 21 and joined CalGuns when I was 20. When I was little, around four, I went with my dad once to the range along with my mom, my dad's high school buddy, and his wife and kids. Back then, though, I had very sensitive hearing, and couldn't stand loud noises, even waves crashing on the beach (which I found out during a physical was due to my hearing being considerably above average, even now). I shot an air pistol there, and did a few times in the backyard with my dad when I was little, betwen the ages of 4 and 6. After that, I had little involvement with guns for years. I always had a fascination with firearms, though, which got stronger after I got into Civil War reenacting when I was 10. I used to go online alot into gun forums and other places and got really into it.

I actually learned about gun safety, handling, etc., from the Internet and not from my father, unfortunately. When we went shooting when I was four was the last time he had gone shooting for a long time. My dad's friend (who went to the range with us when I was 4) gave me a single shot .44 muzzleloading derringer that needed fixing when i was 11 or 12 and my grandfather gave me his Ruger 10/22 as a Christmas present when I was 12. Around the same time I bought a replica Remington M1863 percussion rifle from Cabelas for reenacting, and also around that time, I finally went shooting real guns for the first time with my dad and a friend of his out in the desert.

I got intensely into guns (and my interest in the RKBA made me a hardcore conservative and got me into politics, as well) and my dad got me a Mosin-Nagant M44 when I was 16 and I also bought a Colt 1860 revolver replica from him. I was able to bring my muzzleloader to school for a report on the Civil War and also started a gun club there (Lutheran high School in La Verne). I was also on the air rifle team in NJROTC. After I turned 18 and came home from the military college I was at for a year, I bought a number of guns, now owning a Swiss K-31, a Mossberg 590SP, a Yugo SKS, a Lee-Enfield No.5 MkI, a Colt 1908 Vest Pocket Hammerless pistol, an FM-manufactured Hi-Power, and an air rifle and airsoft gun in addition to the stuff above. I bought my first modern pistol from my grandfather when I was 19. I'm now applying for a C&R License and a CCW Permit, and I also still buy guns as often as I can afford them.