View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 10:33 PM
ke6guj's Avatar
ke6guj ke6guj is offline
CGN Contributor
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 909
Posts: 23,786
iTrader: 42 / 100%

I don't have any registered AW pistols, so that option is not available to me.

What reason did the DOJ say that would prevent you from doing an AOW? I'm not aware of any CA code sections other than 12276.1 that prohibit an VFG on a handgun. And since the SP89 is already a registered AW, adding a VFG shouldn't be manufacturing a new AW, its already one.

OH, just thought of something, of course you couldn't register it as an AOW with CADOJ, since CADOJ does not have a definition for AOW or registration process for AOWs. AOW is a federal definition that you have to comply with. CA merely has an AOW exemption for 12020 prohibitions if you have a federally registered AOW.

I think there are one or two guys that may be working on AOW'ing some fixed-mag AR/AK pistols with VFGs since that would not violate 12276.1.

Yes, you would need to get a signature from someone, police chief or sherriff are the most common ones, but there are other acceptable signatories. DAs and Judges are other possibilites, and there may be others as well.

Unfortunately, the trust option does not look to be an option, since you'd have to transfer the registered AW into the trust and the trust would have to file the Form 1. But, the SP89 is already registered in your name, transfering it to the trust may not be possible as the AW registration may "break".

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by ke6guj; 08-16-2008 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote