View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Unhappy I finally drank the cool-aide.

This is my second build, my first 5.56 build:

I started out to build a varmint/paper shooter with 300-500 yards in mind with a stripped Stag upper and lower. Used DPMS parts kits and bolt and carrier, Jewell 2-Stage trigger, Ace Skeleton stock, 20" DPMS SS Bull Barrel, 2 piece Aluminum free float tube, Prince 50 mag release and a Harris "knock-off" bipod. I added a Barska SWAT 6-24x60mm scope with a LaRue Tactical SPR/M4 Scope Mount (QD LT-104) to move the scope further forward to get a tighter feel when shooting.

Tonight I made a modification for comfort and ease of reloading, CERTAINLY not because I like the way it looks:

Added an A2 stock and MonsterMan grip. Now I can stop cracking open the receiver to load and can swap the lower with my 6.8mm upper and gain the same advantage. I may pull the Prince 50 and use the DPMS mag release parts.

All in all I could've bought this rifle outright for less that my cost to build, but I learned from the process, had fun doing it "and did it my way". Pretty basic compared to a lot I've seen, but it shoots pretty well.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
CalCCW - Senior Founding Member - Helping Californians Legally Obtain A Concealed Carry License, One License At A Time
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein