View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 12:20 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post
Getting close, but...
ETA: Missed the obvious problem -- it has a pistol grip and is a rifle! Funny thing about the CA law is that anything with <16" barrel is considered a pistol, so you can have a weapon that is both a pistol and a SBR at the same time. That makes no sense to me. It pretty much makes it impossible to have a SBR that does not violate SB23, since you have to comply with both the rifle and pistol sections of SB23.
yup, semi-auto SBR's are almost impossible witout violationg SB23. Even if you go featureless or fixed-mag, you have the <30" rule that basically makes getting a tax stamp useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal
Does anyone have a reference for where CA specifically defines what a rifle is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA PC
12020(c)(20) As used in this section, a "rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
Even though it is in 12020, and refers to "as used in the this section (12020), since it is defined in no other section of the code, 12020(c)(20) applies code wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER295 View Post
I also do not know what the legalities are for registering a pistol as a SBR as far as the feds are concerned. Can you even do that?
Sure can. People have registered 1911s and glocks as SBRs so that they can put detachable shoulder stocks on them.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.