View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 10:58 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrazor View Post
OK, here's what I'm thinking.

We all know the detachable magazine semi-auto shotgun (think Saiga-12) is an AW here in CA. But, what if you were to do the following:

Purchase your Saiga with no stock (PG only), and without the gas system installed, so that it's no longer a "semi automatic" shotgun.

Then, you xfer to your trust, fill out the From 1 BS, and create your "sawed off" with front and rear pistol grips. At this point, you no longer possess a "shotgun" but you do possess an "AOW", which means you can modify it to now be semi-auto w/o affecting the AOW status. In the end, you can have a 10" bbl double pistol grip AOW shotgun with a detachable magazine, yes?

BTW, can you CCW an AOW?
Unfortunately, you can't buy a Saiga that was imported with only a PG, or without a stock. You'd have to build your own on a flat. Double pistol grips is not a requirement on a "shotgun based" AOW. It is an AOW per a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell. Aparantly, if it has an 18+" barrel it isn't considered a pistol.

I still think you will run into AW snags. Yes, if built on a flat, it would not be a "shotgun" since it never had a stock, so it would not need to comply with the shotgun AW rules. But, I think it would be considered a pistol in CA as soon as the barrel went under 16", and at that point you have to comply with the pistol AW rules. And that means no detachable mag.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.