Thread: Deer Outfitter
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
That all may well be true. So what? I dont know what the going rate for a deer guide in CA is either. Why? Cuz I've never looked into it. But if I was interested I would have to start looking somewhere right?

I get that you're self taught and put the miles on your boots to get your experience. My point is "you've had the time and ability to do that". But you keep framing all of your coments in the context of YOUR personal circumstances.

Speaking in general, not just about the OP, not everyone is able to do that. My point in using an example of Canada or Alaska is, unless you live there, putting in that kind of field time isn't something even YOU are likely to be able to do, and there is no shame in seeking a local guide to make the most of your time on the ground especially if your time is very limited.

So if perhaps you're a busy working man in one of the major metro areas in CA, have a family, some other hobbies etc. So for such a person, scouting somewhere in CA might as well be scouting in Canada.

Are there not guys who fly to Canada once a year to hunt, or travel to some other state to hunt deer or elk or whatever? It's done all the time. Hunting is not their life, it's just something they do occasionally and they pay someone to do the leg work and bring the experience. The OP wasn't asking how to become a master hunter, he was asking where he could go to be guided and have a good experience.....and yes.....hopefully some success. If I paid big bucks to go hunt somewhere, I'd like to be successful too.
Born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area Married 27 years with 3 kids, i did not live in a rural area for most of my life. I didn't have OTHER HOBBIES that inhibited my ability to not become an avid hunter.

My point was more along the lines of, if you do want to get into hunting, and you want to be successful, you have to put the time in no matter what. If that means giving up other hobbies so be it. If you don't want to give up those hobbies, then expect poor results in the field when you go hunting.

Its a priority thing! If you have the money for a guide then that works too!! If you don't, then oh well, you can't have what you can't afford.

Yes, i do go to Canada once a year to hunt for geese. Its also an all inclusive (airfare excluded) where food, lodging, cleaning, packaging (for the plane). This is really a different kind of hunt than big game though.

The OP in question appears to literally live next to the los padres and FHL. My advice was to simply, go hunt. Its available within an hour or two if you want it bad enough.